Ay, There's the Rub

      



    My wife groaned in pain next to me.
    
    When I asked what was wrong, she said that she must have slept 
wrong the previous night.  Her neck felt as if a thousand pitchforks 
held by a thousand little demons were jamming into it.  Would I 
massage it a little with some Icy-Hot?

    Since we had only been married a week, I, of course, was only too
happy to oblige.  Perhaps, after the passage of a few years, I would 
feign sleep and ignore her request through faux snores.  But, today?  
I would be a model groom.

    Considering I had just woken up myself, I rolled out of bed and 
stumbled into the bathroom adjacent to our bed.  I didn’t bother 
putting on my glasses.  I figured the task at hand didn’t call for long-
distance, or any other kind of, vision.

    I grabbed the small white tube from underneath the sink and 
jumped onto the bed.  She had already sat up, her pajama top pulled 
up.  I had easy access to neck and shoulders.

    Our cat perched on the dresser, intensely curious as to all the 
hubbub about to commence.

    “Okay,” I cautioned as I squirted a small dollop between her 
shoulder blades, “this will be a little chilly at first.  But, then it’ll 
warm up quick enough.”

    As I spread the cream around her shoulders and up her neck, I 
noticed that it didn’t feel right.  It was a little stickier than I thought 
it should be.  It was white, of course, but it didn’t have the 
consistency you’d expect a warming balm to have.

    The cat, even more curious, poked her nose closer to get a better 
look.  All of a sudden, she began to sneeze.  Well, that was odd, I 
thought.  I never heard the cat do that before.

    The ointment also didn’t give off that “Icy-Hot” kind of smell.  In 
fact, it had a minty aroma.  I leaned in and took a small whiff.  Yep, 
peppermint.

    Well, that was as odd as the cat’s sneezing fits.

    Without turning, my wife asked, “Shouldn’t it be getting a little 
warmer?”

    I agreed and she said, “What’s the expiration date on the tube?”

    Since I had bought it only a month ago, I seriously doubted 
that would be the case.  Something else had to be going on wit…
then I looked at the tube laying on the bedsheet.
    
    It said “Sensodyne.”

    As I washed the toothpaste from her shoulders, I told her to look 
on the bright side.

    Laughing, but not annoyed (remember, we were still newlyweds), 
she asked, “What would that be?”

    "Well, if I had grabbed the tube of Preparation H, your neck 
would have ended up the size of a #2 pencil.”

2 comments:

  1. Now that's funny. Yes, you could've rubbed weirder things on her than toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put on my glasses to use the bathroom in the middle of the night when I'm not bothering to turn on the lights. But I'm quite blind. It's so easy to mistake similar tubes.

    ReplyDelete

Out On a Limb

     Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm going to defend Joe Biden (for perhaps the very first, and last, time). &quo...