A Twitter Nugget in a Field of Poo

 NOTE:  The following does not represent the views of this blog's author.  Necessarily.  It merely presents (what I hope) is an interesting way of looking at events which happened before some of you were even born.  That, in itself, is depressing enough.


     I recently rejoined Twitter.  This had nothing to do with Elon Musk.  I reentered the asylum long before the Tesla/Space-X magnate purchased the company.  The resulting hysteria by hand-wringing ninnies couldn't be more entertaining, but that didn't motivate me.

    Things could get worse with the African-American's move (the fact that I can call him an "African-American" tickles me to no end).  A year from now, we may look upon this in a "why the hell did we think this was a good idea?" kind of way.

"He is?  Well, that's inconvenient."

    Or things could be better.  Or Russia may wipe us all out.  In that case, all this would be moot.

"The Russians must still answer for Apollo Creed. 
No joke."

    However, that's another topic for another day.

    I found that I missed the insanity of those tweeting (I'm talking to you, Alyssa Milano) and enjoyed adding a bit of snark to their crazed mewlings.  It's fun.  Plus, as one of my friends once told me, the reason he stayed on Twitter was to keep up with the craziness on the Left.

    Don't get me wrong.  Twitter remains a cesspool of bitterness, hatred, and outrage.  Only now, it seems like the mental illness will come from both sides.

    Still, Twitter occasionally turns up a gem or two.  A nugget of wisdom.  Such it was last week when a "Tweeter" asked the question, "Are things worse now than they've ever been?  If so, when did the descent into chaos begin?"

    Most people (myself included) think that present-day America has never been worse (although, people alive in the Civil War would disagree.  Just before they were picked up by the Zombie Police).  I agree, the 60s would give today a good run for its money.  Although, despite the upheaval then, at least there was (relatively) competent leadership in government.

    A topic for debate, sure, but not the purpose here.  Thanks for getting ready to fire off a "WTF?" email.

    When our descent actually began took many forms.  Of course, there were the predictable "Biden," "Trump,"

"I swear, some people just can't let it go."

"Obama," "Clintons" responses (me?  I thought the beginning of the end happened when MTV stopped playing music videos giving us Snooki).  There was even one response who laid the blame at the feet of the James Buchanan administration (some people really hold a grudge).  I would have expected nothing else.  Venomous, non-thinking discourse is epidemic on social media.

    But, one person said that the beginning of the end started (yes, I know "beginning" and "started" are redundant.  Sue me) on September 11,2001.

    At first blush, that seems silly.  After all, who can forget how this country immediately came together?  I haven't seen a burst of patriotism quite like it before or since.  Then, when George W. Bush announced "Mission Accomplished" from the flight deck of USS Abraham Lincoln, my heart swelled with pride.  I believed it. 

    I felt a little queasy when the United States went into Iraq, too but I believed it.

    However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that going from "good" to "bad" is not automatic.  Does anyone think that Romans went to bed thinking "Yay!  All's good.  Well, unless you're a Goth.  Or a slave.  Or German.  Okay, pretty much anybody but us." only to wake up in the morning to realize, "Ohhhhhhh, right.  Today's the day we fall.  I guess it's time to dig the fields with a stick, get raped by Vikings,  and catch bubonic plague."

    It certainly isn't out of the question that some good times will remain at least in the beginning. 

Wrong Good Times

    I think it's entirely possible that rot began to form following the horrific events in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania.  It's like termite damage.  Hey, that deck looks great.  Until it collapses a few years later during Great-Aunt Muriel's birthday party.

    I do know this, nothing has been the same in this country ever since. If nothing else, traveling by air has permanently changed, to be sure.  Plus, we've been at war for over twenty years.  Yes, yes, I know, the United States peaced out of Afghanistan last year, but can anyone seriously think we're any safer now?

    Then, I read where more than a few people think the September 11th attacks were orchestrated by our own government (I just can't force myself to believe that little bit of horror, though).  Then again, the cynic in me, well, war is good for business, you understand.  What better way to line their pockets than by keeping the merchants of death in the black?

    At any rate, the question provides intellectual food for thought.

    What do you think?  Does 9/11 make sense?  Or do you agree with those who blame the recent boobs in Washington?  Maybe once Americans said "Screw this" with Vietnam?  Could it be the Kennedy assassination?  Perhaps even starting with the sanctimonious racist doofus, Woodrow Wilson?

"BOOBS!!!"

     I know this.  I really hate being cynical nowadays.

   What say we go back to something silly next time?

"Your nerves will thank you."


    


 

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I think often about how the world seems the worst it's ever been until I remember the many horrors of the past. I'm undecided on when the current horribleness actually started. I'll give it more thought. I'd like to stop thinking about it, but I can't.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? History is filled with horror, but this is the first time I can ever think of that I'll see a bright flash, followed by nothing. Depressing, for sure. I just want to be left alone.

      Delete
  2. Really good post my friend. It does make you think. Yes patriotism was so prevalent after 9/11 and it was a beautiful thing after such horror. I seriously believe and I’m sure I’ll piss someone off but I believe this awful, entitled, racist society we’re in began with the Obama administration. It brewed hatred and then it got so ugly in 2020 I wanted to puke. So much hatred spewed everywhere. Like you, let me ride out my golden years in peace and be left alone. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t post that anonymously. For some reason it flipped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Barbara nailed it - that was the beginning of the downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the great depression and WW2 was uglier we just don't have many people around any more to tell us and nobody watches documentary ies about this time.
    You know I think, when one watches Trump, how he incites fear and anger but uses the flag and patriotism to hide behind it.
    I do not believe Puddin' will push the button because he wants to rule the world, not destroy it I do think Biden needs to get the U.S in Ukraine and stop the bully sanctions won't stop him. It is very scary to stand up to a bully but we must. I don't think 9/11 was orchestrated by the U.S. but I think Bush used this to go into the middle East for the oil. His family were/ are oil rich. I think Trump is a catalyst for the people who now feel they can take the power and use it to their own ends. They say words Ike freedom and love the flag but only if you follow what they believe in. I know you think differently but Trump would have laid out the red carpet for Putin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red carpet? Yeah, no. But, I have become pretty cynical (I do look at the Gulf War and its sequel with a very jaundiced eye). Depression, WW2, Civil War, the late 60s...all candidates, to be sure. I hope you're right about Putin. I don't want Americans to be killed in Ukraine, though. And there we differ.

      Delete
  6. I won't say you are right or wrong- we all have our opins on the subject- but this is a VERY wise look at it. Well done, sir! BTW, I am still on twitter, but all the political follows are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer. If for nothing else, how could you prove it? Debate still goes on about why Rome fell (if you haven't been able to tell, that period of history fascinates me). I did have someone say that the American decay (and I'm sure people will debate whether that's happening, too) began with Reagan. She said I would disagree. Maybe. Maybe not. But, I would REALLY like her to state why she thinks that. She may have some very good points.

      Delete
  7. I heard that "twitter" will lose "w".... then, to be "titter"....
    do you know different?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won't weigh in. I'd rather keep my weight private. I'm just a ninnie who loves AOC, agrees with Milano (she's pretty hot, no?), and loves you. Perhaps it's always been the best and the worst of times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can weigh in, you're not a ninnie, and I love you too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Milano and AOC are hot.

      Delete

Out On a Limb

     Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm going to defend Joe Biden (for perhaps the very first, and last, time). &quo...