Happy Memorial Day?

 


    I wonder how many of you say that without realizing the last Monday in May is really not about the unofficial start of summer?

    NOTE:  Okay, I’ll grant you that June, July, and August are pretty cold in the Southern Hemisphere, which sounds like a crappy deal for our friends down under.  Until you stop to consider they also don’t have Joe Biden and Donald Trump.

    NOTE FOLLOWING A NOTE:  That last sentence is sure to tick off both sides of the aisle.  You’re welcome.

    On the other hand, Australia does have Olivia Newton-John.

"Not anymore!"


 
Too soon?

    Lost among the hoopla of Bud Light-free backyard barbecues, fireworks (for those looking to get a jump on Independence Day), trips to Jersey beaches (to watch the annual washing ashore of mob hits), and tropical storms (in Florida) is the true purpose behind Memorial Day.

Some celebrate in their own way.

    Originally called Decoration Day, recognition of those who gave their lives in the recent Civil War was officially proclaimed on May 5th, 1868, by General John Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic (weren’t they all full of themselves?).  Planned for May 30th, it drew former foes together to plant flowers and otherwise spruce up graves of war dead from North and South alike at Arlington National Cemetery.

    NOTE: Which, incidentally, was on the site of Robert E. Lee’s home.

"Vindictive pricks."


    To be sure, women in the South were also “decorating” gravesites of their dead from the “Great Cause,” when they weren’t saying “Bless your heart” or “Kiss my grits.”  In fact, some sources state that those practices even predated the end of the war.  What’s more, some states in Dixie even had their own Decoration Days, mostly in May.

"You know, Letitia, after we're done, I could use a hot dog."
"Oh, bless your heart! They haven't been invented yet."
"Well, kiss my grits!"

Told ya.

    NOTE:  For my non-American friends (and products of the Mississippi school system), the American Civil War (or “War of Northern Aggression”-sheesh, those people can really hold a grudge.  At least they weren’t vindictive pricks, though.) took place between 1861 and 1865 between the “North” and the “South.”  I could bore you with the whys, whens, and whats about one of our most horrific conflicts (this side of a San Francisco CVS), but I won’t (no sense cracking a book).  Let’s just put it this way:  a lot of people died and the blue team won.  Oh, and it wasn’t technically a “civil” war.  Because, let’s face it, there’s nothing civil about getting your head blown off by a cannon ball.

"If'n we survive this thing, we'll get a three-day weekend!"
"Bless your heart, the Yankee Congress hasn't invented it yet."
"Well, you kin kiss my grits!"

Well, whaddya know?  Even the guys.

    Decoration Day remained an observance of Civil War dead up until after the First World War.  Following one of history’s most idiotic conflicts (which didn’t end up being the “war to end all wars” after all.  Suckers.), it was decided that May 30th would be set aside to honor all American war dead.

    NOTE:  And those who lost their lives during peacetime in service to their country.

    The name, however, stuck until it officially changed to Memorial Day in 1967.  No matter what it was called, though, Americans throughout the nation took time out to honor those who had fallen.

    What seemed to many to be a civic duty began to fade after Congress passed the Holiday Act of 1971.  An effort to consolidate some federal holidays into three-day weekends, it shifted Memorial Day to the last Monday in May.  The inexorable transformation from solemn tribute to summertime bacchanal had begun.

    I try my best not to be a crank about the avalanche of car commercials, barbecue tips shows, or “ABBA to ZZ Top-The Memorial Countdown of the 500 Most Popular Hits of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and Whatever the Frik We Call the First Decade of the 21st Century!”  It’s hard not to get caught up in the hype of a country poised at the brink of gloriously warm weather (sorry, Aussies) and summer reruns.  Hey, I like to walk around with my shirt off and scare wildlife like any other middle-aged guy.

    Still, I remember when Memorial Day used to be about the Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.  Parades, wreath-layings, air shows, flag-raisings:  those were what I remember.

    But, if I think back really hard (you could take that dirty), I also remember my shirtless father (I’m still in therapy) incinerating hot dogs from Shop Rite on the grill while listening to Best of the Ventures on his 8-Track player.  All while we played fetch with our dog-using my little brother’s bathing suit.  With my little brother still in it.

Like this.  But, not as tasty.

    When we weren’t playing catch with the Lawn Darts, that is.

"Those damn kids and their lawn dar....ooh.  Hot dogs."

    Ahhhhh, good times.

    So, when I get up tomorrow morning, I’m going to fly my flag before heading off to see the Memorial Day parade.  I’ll place my hand over my heart when the national anthem is played at the wreath-laying.  And hang on to every word spoken by a veteran from either the American Legion or the VFW.

    It is then when I’ll remember.

    Then, I’ll go home to see if I can cook a hot dog better than my dad.

    Now that I think of it, I guess the saying fits:

    Happy Memorial Day!

    Still, never forget it should also be Blessed Memorial Day.

    Two things can be true at the same time.       

10 comments:

  1. Too soon…hahaaaaa. Poor Olivia who’s no longer getting physical. We had our Victoria Day last weekend. It used to be this weekend because her birthday was around this time plus we always called it May 2-4 in honour of beer drinking. Somehow, we changed our holiday when you guys from the States ( grrr) asked us to and we complied. We are too nice🤪😁. I do have a deep respect for all veterans and people who lived through wars. I believe all should be honoured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh..it’s Birgit

      Delete
    2. I honestly didn't know that you were (let's be honest) forced to move your holiday. American A-Holes.

      Delete
  2. Good ol' lawn darts. Did anyone ever really get stuck with one of those?
    No parades here that I know of but we did have an air show last weekend, so close enough.
    And as a military brat, I certainly honor those who fought and never came home.
    Side note - no offense taken. I'm Team DeSantis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did have lawn darts and my father really did incinerate hoy dogs. We really didn't play fetch with our little brother, though. Although we DID throw dog poop (which we called "cocky") at him and tossed him in the empty pool come November. No children were harmed by either. My little brother was psychologically scarred, though.
      And, BTW, I'm Team De Santis, as well. Trump',s mouth and ego are too much. The primaries will be like the NFL playoffs. Until the political Super Bowl in November, '24.

      Delete
  3. It doesn't matter how solemn the occasion, if people get a day off, there's going to be some happy going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Which was the point of my last bit. Have a Happy and Blessed day off. You deserve it.

      Delete
  4. Three uncles on my Dad's side served but survived. Nub was army, I believe Len was air corps, Dick was Navy. Dad was 4f'ed for the lung spot that would kill him 40 years down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family has been military since WWII (mostly Navy). All thankfully, survived. Sadly, my cousin's son (a Navy LT) will be the last of our family in uniform when he gets out soon (he's not staying for retirement). The military (especially the Navy) has become a woke joke which I fear won't do well in any future conflict (I pray that I'm wrong).

      Delete
  5. we got heat and heat now in Louisiana.....
    Happy Memorial day .....
    # thank you for guarding the freedom.

    ReplyDelete

History of the World-Hail Caesar!

  NOTE:   I'll continue to post this disclaimer, even though it's been like forever since I posted anything pertaining to the histor...