Cuckoos: It's Not Just About Cocoa Puffs

 Adam, of Neko Random fame (a long time ago, Adam explained what "Neko Random" meant.  Unfortunately, I have since forgotten),  writes a charming blog in which he discusses various fun/not so fun facts, video games and various other bits that would interest most.  His posts are short and colorful, but quickly get to the point.

"Not like the crap you find here."
"Tell me about it.  On and on and on...it's like reading a frikkin' Stephen King book."  

"HEY!"

One recent post was a brief discussion of how mother cuckoos treat their young.  It reminded me of how my childhood was.  Rather than regurgitate (which is pretty much how most birds feed their young), I'll just provide a link here.  So, go ahead and check it out.  



Everyone back?  Good.  You want to return, I know, but hear me out.  Even though I am the oldest of five, I always felt like I was the prototype child.  In fact, I think the reason my parents had four more children was that they wanted to get it right after the disaster of their first-born (plus, Dad was a horn-dog) .  In essence, I felt as if a mother cuckoo (or the Schwartzes from down the street) snuck a "cuckoo baby" into the nest.

Call me cuckoo, but I think this is so.
On a related note, the deer had to be put down due to a catastrophic spinal injury.

Now head on back to Neko Random and learn something, why don'tcha?

"Not like they will here, amirite?"



THIS JUST IN (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID):  IT LOOKS LIKE THE LINK ABOVE DOESN'T WORK.  SO, BRIEFLY WHAT ADAM SAID:  THE CUCKOO MOTHER DEPOSITS HER EGG INTO ANOTHER BIRD'S NEST. THAT WAY, SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BOTHERED WITH RAISING HER OFFSPRING AND IS FREE TO GO OFF TO CUCKOO SINGLE MIXERS. ANYWAY, ADAM TOLD IT MUCH MUCH MORE ELOQUENTLY THAN I (WHICH IS WHY I PUT THE LINK IN.  WHICH DOESN'T WORK). SORRY.

8 comments:

  1. I imagine being the eldest of five is kinda cool. I'm the eldest of 2. That barely matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always expected to be the responsible one. And to sit on reindeer.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm confused. How deep back was that cuckoo post? Actually, that's a neat way to share a lot of things. Thanks for sharing- something you are really good at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find it. looks like the link doesn't bring you to the exact post. Which is kind of a shame. I've updated the post above to provide some context. Still, Adam has a lot of very interesting tidbits. If so inclined, have a look.

      Delete
  3. haha oldest always is the prototype, especially with 4 more behind. One way to have your fun and not deal with the aftermath. Toss the eggs to another sucker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty much the showroom model. Showroom at the haunted house.

      Delete

Out On a Limb

     Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm going to defend Joe Biden (for perhaps the very first, and last, time). &quo...