To Post or Not to Post?


    I’ve learned, over the years, that posting on social media can sometimes be precarious.  For instance, I once wrote an article for Navy Times for which I needed to profusely apologize.  No, I didn’t reveal any national secrets nor foment any sort of mutiny.  No, all I did was mock a meeting that I went to (e.g., "We spent five days doing 2 hours worth of work.  On the bright side, there were unlimited doughnuts.").  


"Unlimited, you say?"
    It would have been no big deal, but I named the actual meeting.  Not a good thing.  So, even though some folks ridiculed my apology as knuckling under to those humor-challenged folks who would later go on to lucrative careers in the Trump Administration, I saw where those “offended” had a point.  


They may have gotten a little carried away, though.
   Enter extensive mea culpas.

"WRONG!  I have a yuge sense of humor. 
For instance two nips walk into a bar with a parrot.  
No. Wait.  Forget what I just said."

"That okay. We no rike Japan."

    Similarly, the year before last, I made a comment on Cheryl Massey's Cherdo on the Flipside blog.  She upbraided me (VERY politely) that her blog was viewed by people of all ages.  Therefore, my comment was inappropriate, and she deleted it.  She had a very good point and I even wrote a blog about not going into someone else’s house to make off-color remarks or pull-my-finger comments.

I hear it helps with zits.  
But, there's that whole cholesterol thing, though.
    What I learned from both instances is to be very careful what you post, especially in another’s world (be it Blogger, Facebook, or even Twitter).  Even though I had something of egg on my face, I was told that what I was doing wasn’t a good idea.  I appreciated that.

    
    A couple weeks ago, a Facebook friend mentioned that he had
"I don't get the conneckshun."
taken his son to a birthday brunch.  I commented, using the picture of that guy with the huge neck (you know the one) whether they served chicken necks.


    My friend (a conservative like me, so this was a real surprise) sent me a private message, saying that he had deleted the picture.  No explanation.  Just that he deleted it.

    I thought about what I posted to try to determine what was wrong.  The ONLY explanation I could come up with is that some people may find it racist.  Because it was a picture of a black man asking about chicken necks.  Okay, maybe if I had a picture of a black man asking about watermelon or fried chicken, sure, that would be racist (and wildly so).  But, come ON, the whole joke about this guy is that he has a huge NECK.  And, I'm sorry, restaurants don’t sell pig, cow, or fish necks.  Just chicken necks.


"Pig necks are unclean!"


"And cow necks are gross!"
    
"That's ridiculous.  Fish don't have necks.  
They are dead sexy, though."
    So, those people who would find offense are idiots.

    Since my friend is friends with such a knucklehead who does find race in anything, I can only conclude that was why.

"He's only shooting the cans 
that have black motor oil in them!"

      
    Since he didn't give me the courtesy of explaining his action,  I am left only to assume he doesn't want to deal with thin-skinned nitwits.  Therefore, why bother commenting on his posts in the future?

      So, I shan't.

    Similarly, last week, another friend removed a comment I made on one of her posts. She linked an outstanding article lambasting Gillette where the author used a variety of statistics to debunk the myth of widespread, out-of-control “toxic masculinity.” 

    I commented, “100% of people with a vagina are women.” 
"Holy crap!  They are???"
Then, I posted a picture of a shocked Caitlyn Jenner.

    
    She sent me a message saying she deleted the post because she was afraid certain people would question whether she supported transgender residents.  No way she does NOT, but I don’t blame her.  Who needs the grief that would entail?
    
    I saw her point.

    Bottom line, I respect her position.  Since she gave me the courtesy of an explanation, I’ll continue to post on her posts.

    The big difference between the two?  The first offered NO explanation, while the second explained why my comment went to "Comment Boneyard" (very much like Cheryl).


"Far too many bones here, already, FYI."

    The end result is that I am once more reminded to be careful when going to someone else’s house.  I’ll verbally “wipe my feet,” as it were.
  
    But, if you don’t tell me what’s what, then, well, let’s put it this way:  won’t be seeing me again if you delete my comment (which is definitely your right).

    Here, though, I’ll continue to be a cranky curmudgeon with questionable taste.  

    After all, it’s what I do.
     
"Clearly."



11 comments:

  1. Yeah, sometimes we have to watch it as the people who go to the person's spot can be really stick up their bum and no one wants the sjw's after you. But some just take it waaaay too far. An explanation makes one think though and is better than you're an arse or just ignoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An explanation is really appreciated. I never mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

      Delete
  2. You forgot the most important part: I still love ya! The delete was really about how I present my own social media once I realized some kiddos were following me.

    Remember, I AM the one who didn't hesitate to write about a lightbulb getting removed from someone's hiney in ER...

    But let's just talk about you....lol.

    I respect you, so I like to act like the seasoned adults that we are. I'll never understand why people don't want to treat everyone with equal respect ("Hey, Al, I'm gonna slap you down so I can continue to tip-toe around someone else's problem...that stranger is more important..."). Though I was compelled to remove the comment, I would never do so without a friendly note explaining myself.

    Because adulthood...because friends... ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've no idea how much that all meant to me. I realized then that, yeah, she's absolutely right. And so much appreciated being told that I was tracking mud in your place.

      Delete
  3. You never have to worry that at any of my spaces, I am reasonably thick skinned and more likely to offend that be offended. I myself am getting a little better about "re-read and erase if necessary", but nowhere near good enough to be "perfect". In fact, I was wondering if I off3ended YOU on my Gillette ad comment on FB- which I still see as having a valuable lesson getting swept away by the firestorm around it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely did NOT offend me. I like reasonable debate and welcome it. This is probably a modern-day phenomenon, but, like Cheryl, I tell people that you're one of those "friends who I've never met!"

      Delete
  4. Please come to my blog and write whatever you want.

    Photos are too funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point. I think I'm probably more careful about the comments I make on other people's blogs than I am about mine. I mean, we all break wind in private, but why do it in somebody else's space? Turns out, I'm gonna have to be a little more careful about what I say on my blog, too, because I just found out recently that my 8-year old grandson reads it. (the little booger...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In private? You mean I shouldn't float an air biscuit in the produce department and then scurry away?
      Good to know.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever deleted any of your comments, Al. I have hidden a few of your and others' posts from my own page. My page, my home, as you say. That man, though he's gross to look at, he must be good at necking. Do you have his number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my utmost to respect other people's homes and don't barge it with mud on my literary feet all over another's brand new carpet. But, enough with the metaphors.
      All I know is that when that guy goes shopping for a shirt, he has to tell the clerk that his neck size is in feet, not inches.

      Delete

Happy Passover

        A good lot of you have already celebrated Easter.  Like weeks ago.   "Weeks ago!?  You should have told me, Mr. Great Pumpkin! ...