"When I left my home and my family, I was no more than a boy.
In the company of strangers, in the quiet of a railway station, running scared."*
-Simon and Gar, the Funkel Brothers.
Fifty years ago...
 |
Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Except mine. Because who cares?
|
The summer of 1976 was glorious. Having graduated from high school in late June, the potential of a carefree few months stretched before me with its comforting arms (clumsy metaphor, I know. Sue me). I quit my job at a seafood restaurant in late July, my bank account was full, and I was dating a girl who gave me all the love I deserved. And I her.
NOTE: Two and a half years later, she broke my heart. But that's another story...
 |
Available for the low, low price of...uh...huh. Can't remember. If you're looking for an answer as to whether she knew she broke my heart, you won't find it here. |
 |
| "I think he's trying to sell books." |
 |
|
My enlistment in the Navy was, to my hormone-fueled adolescent mind, a lifetime away. I was having too much fun to worry about that, I told myself. Then, as the middle of August rolled around (and my savings account dwindled), I got a phone call from my recruiter. He told me that I would be leaving for boot camp a day early, August 30th instead of the 31st.
Well, if that didn't thrust me into a whirlwind of depression, nothing ever would, I thought. I'd be leaving "my home and my family" 24 hours early than I had anticipated. Oh, the humanity!
NOTE: Oh, how naive. That whole "breaking heart" thing would be much worse.
Of course, the fact that meant my enlistment would be over a day earlier than anticipated (August 29th, 1980 instead of the 30th) didn't occur to me.
NOTE: What happened in those four years is also regaled in the book above. Teaser? I totaled my car. And slept in a pillowcase.
In any event, I WASN'T READY TO GO!!!!!!
But, go I did. This was a actually a good thing because I only had $5.00 left in my savings.
After I had retired (you read that right), I was asked to speak at various Career Days at local schools. Although, I must admit, those invitations have pretty much dried up. Because my uniform no longer fits. Nobody wanted to hear some old geezer reminisce with tedious "back in my day" stories. To them, I would be no different than John Paul Jones.
 |
| "Not gonna lie, more than a little hurtful." |
By far, the most common question I was asked was why I went into the Navy in the first place. "That was easy," I said. "I wanted to see the world."
And so I did.
 |
From Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia (yes, it was still called that then) |
to
.jpg) |
| To Memphis, Egypt (complete with a mummy of Elvis) |
to
 |
| Notre Dame, Paris (the hunchback had the day off) |
to
 |
| Whatever TF I was doing here in Rome. |
In the ensuing twenty-seven years, I had pretty much achieved what I wanted. And remain happy that I did.
Fifty years after I left a day early.
DISCLOSURE: To be honest, military service isn't the yukfest it was in the 1970s. A lot of things have happened since then. And, even though I can intellectually understand the necessity of being at sea for an excruciatingly long period of time, my heart goes out to those whose only view of the world is largely water.
*This song has always appealed to me. When I left for boot camp, I did leave my home as an 18 year old, who was little more than a boy. And those of us who went to boot camp (mostly strangers; but three of my fellow "boots" were in my graduating class) did indeed take a train.
The military is so lax now. They can have beards!
ReplyDeleteMy father was career military and I am grateful for all the places we got to see.
The funny thing is, when I first enlisted, Navy men were allowed to have beards. This was an attempt to make the Navy more hip and with it, in response to the Vietnam debacle. There were plenty of changes mandated by the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, through a series of directives called Z-Grams (the traditional Navy uniform, "crackerjacks," also went away-you can see the "new" uniform-which most of us hated-and the beard in my Dubrovnik picture). In 1980, beards were prohibited, resulting in appearance of some of the ugliest dudes in the world. For instance, I said to my workcenter supervisor, "Dear Lord, you're bucktoothed!?
DeleteCrackerjacks also returned.
First, thank you for your service. You had a wonderful adventure and lived to tell us about it.
ReplyDeleteHave a fabulous day and week. ☺
You're welcome. It was an honor. So many stories...that's why I wrote the books. I've got three "in the can" and have a couple more planned.
DeleteI can see why you wrote the books. Sounds like you have a lot of great stories.
ReplyDeleteI have only scratched the surface here at Penwasser Place. The books give me ample space to flesh out those tales. Also? "Shag Carpet Toilet," while nominally fiction, draws in large part from real-life experiences of my childhood growing up in Stratford, Connecticut. The one I'm writing now, "Adventures of a Monetary Exchange Specialist," while ALSO a work of fiction, draws heavily on my experiences as a cashier at Ace. Once I'm done with that (hopefully by the end of the year) I'll return to my "Navy" books with "This Is Where I Came In."
DeleteUnless I die. Then all bets are off.
Fifty years ago. Seems like yesterday, somewhat, doesn't it? Well, for you. In 1976 in September sometime, I started kindergarten.
ReplyDeleteI get a lot of that...lol.
DeleteGlad to get to know you a little more. Your mention of the young generation's aversion or indifference to age - is something I experienced in the last year of my teaching career. In fact, I quit the job because of that.
ReplyDeleteI so want to shout, "I WAS ONCE LIKE YOU!" Youth truly is fleeting.
DeleteSo there ARE pictures that don't include shoe tying...
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha
DeleteWhat a vivid snapshot of youth, adventure, and the bittersweet humor of hindsight.
ReplyDeleteI love how you balance the laughter with the honesty.
Thank you for sharing this journey.
You're so very welcome. I love to tell these stories. It helps me to hang on to graying youth.
DeleteI love the line about giving up the career day speeches because your uniform no longer fit. Aside from that it sounds like you have an interesting life.
ReplyDeleteI remembered my last Career Day. My wife took a picture of me in my uniform and I gasped, “Why is the Cryptkeeper in my uniforms?” Sadly, this was many years ago.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteI feel like it's become cliche to say we appreciate someone's service, but I truly do. I know there are many sacrifices made that go unrecognized. My dad retired as a Colonel in the Marine Corps. He was, in the words of my grandma' a handful. The military was a good fit for him. My son-in-law went to med school via the US Army so have had a more recent view of how families navigate the separations and moves, etc. So thank you!
ReplyDeleteMy first four years: seemed like a fun thing to do.
DeleteMy second four years: reenlisted for $12,000 and shore duty.
My last nineteen: service to my country.
Thank you.
This is Birgit and so glad you came out of the service safe. You got to see many places which is always great.
ReplyDeleteOne of the stories I like to tell is of the time our Canadian liaison officer (Major Gloumeau) invited several of us to his house for Canadian Thanksgiving. Such a good man.
Delete