![]() |
| "I'm honored. No joke." |
Wrong Joe.
Like last week’s post, I thought I’d once again visit my personal wayback machine. However, unlike last week’s Ode To Cabbage, I decided to pen a little original material before I launch into the aforementioned visit to the past.
Since I was a
senior in high school, I’ve drunk coffee.
What started out as a means to imitate “grownups” (trust me, alcohol
came later), grew into, quite frankly, a sort of addiction once I enlisted in
the Navy.
We’ll get back to
the Navy, trust me.
What are the
origins of this dark brew, you might ask?
Okay, maybe you’re not asking, but you’re here so you may as well listen
to what I have to say write.
Wild coffee plants were first discovered in Ethiopia, but since the Ethiopians had more important things to worry than coffee
![]() |
| Like lions |
the plants were
actually first developed as a drink in
Yemen until the 15th century.
Yemen probably had lions, too, but this isn’t a history of the animal kingdom, so shut up.
![]() |
| "The struggle is real." |
Anyway, since Diet Coke hadn’t been invented yet, Sufi Muslims used the drink to keep awake during nighttime prayers.
Imagine how boring
those prayers must have been.
By the 16th
century, the popularity of coffee had spread throughout the Middle East and
into Europe, fueling the rise of coffeehouses.
![]() |
| When the pubs were closed, I suppose. |
From there it was only natural for it to make its way to the New World, where the indigenous population greeted it with, “What? No Fresca? I guess we’ll drink it, as long as you keep those smallpox blankets to yourselves.”
Since then, coffee
has been one of the world’s most popular beverages.
![]() |
| Beating the snot out of Moxie. |
So, from where did the name “coffee” come? Well, I’m glad you asked. Okay, I know you didn’t. Just play along. “Coffee” derives from the Ottoman Turk “kahve,” which means “Nasty Drink Which Gives You Bad Breath But Helps You Stay Awake In Church.”
The nation of Brazil is the world’s leading producer of coffee. Other nations which export coffee include Colombia, Indonesia, Ivory Coast,
![]() |
| Got kind of a soapy aftertaste, though. |
Ethiopia (probably not surprising), and
Vietnam, which supplanted Colombia for the second largest producer of coffee in
1999.
![]() |
| Don't worry. Colombia will be fine. |
And now you know.
Okay, personal
story:
Since my earliest
days in the Navy, I only drink my coffee black, even though I used to take it
with sugar and milk. But, why black?

"That's bullshit, man! Get the new guy to do i...oh. Wait."
One day, after I brought our ration to the
shop, I noticed there were ants crawling in the sugar and the powder creamer
came out in green chucks when I opened the packets.
From that day nearly fifty years ago, the
thought of anything but black coffee makes me sick.
And now you know
that, too.
Second Bonus Fun Fact:
Why “Java” and “Mocha”? Java is
in Indonesia and Mocha is a port in Yemen.
And now you...
![]() |
| You get the picture |











No comments:
Post a Comment